Thursday, February 19, 2015

Snow Day!

Actually, if we're being honest - it's really more of a cold weather day. I think we finally hit 1* sometime today! Tomorrow is going to be slightly warmer, but still pretty brutal.  I'm thankful for the time off, especially since I'm pretty sure none of my students would've come today (most in that class take public transportation and/or have children in public schools, which were also closed today).  I've spent most of my day trying to be productive. Including reorganizing the shelves on my bookcase where I keep my ESOL teaching materials. They actually look pretty neat AND are in some kind order so I can easily find things! I almost wish I'd taken a "before" picture :)  We're slowly making progress on getting the place organized!
We won't talk about what the rest of the bookshelf looks like... 


The picture of Conway above was actually taken on Valentine's Day, which was snowy, cold and blustery! J and I had a pretty low key day. We went to brunch, spent the afternoon shopping for home organizing supplies, had dinner (and a margarita) at our go-to Mexican place down the street, and rented Frozen from RedBox :) I also spent some time working on the sweater I'm knitting. It's my first one and is going slow, but steady, so far. I know it won't be perfect, but I do hope it's at least wearable! 

Things in the classroom are going relatively well, though classes have been smaller than usual with all of this nasty weather. My self-directed activity time experiment has been going well so far. It seems my students of all levels particularly enjoy doing word finds. I think that different levels get different benefits from them.  For example, the vast majority of my level 0 students are native speakers of languages that use very different alphabets (Cyrillic, Nepali, Arabic), and a few aren't even literate in their native language, For them, the letter recognition aspect of word finds is great practice. I like to use word finds that have themes. This week's theme was "baking" and my more advanced students enjoyed learning new words like "bundt" and "butterscotch" :) 

From a chapter on clothing I was working with a student on this week. I'm pretty sure the answer here is "A".

 I also wanted to thank everyone who donated to my fundraiser! We raised enough for 127 kits of a nail file and tube of chapstick for Hanna House! You guys rock! I'll be sure to post pictures when everything arrives :)  In other Thirty-One news, I'm doing my next bridal show this weekend! Hopefully the weather will cooperate and there will be lots of people there. I'm also hosting an open house at my place on March 6. If you're in the area and want details, let me know! There will be desserts, drinks, and the chance to check out some of the new items from the catalog, including my new favorite - the limited edition Mini Diamond District :)

And that's all I've got for tonight :) Stay warm, everyone!


2 comments:

  1. Conway looks cold. Like...seriously cold.

    Your bookshelf looks awesome. I won't judge on the rest of it.

    I do judge that you rented "Frozen".

    Sean's brother is a linguist in the Army and is fluent in Chinese and Arabic. I think that's so crazy. I don't know why I thought of that. But I have great admiration for anyone who can learn two languages. I can't learn Algebra.

    I love the little bag. I think it's way cute. I don't know if I'd use it. But I'm coveting it from afar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look cold in that picture! But I assure you he was still stopping to sniff everything along the way ;) Today was a different story. Poor little guy!

      I dunno. "Frozen" seems like a pretty appropriate movie for this past week ;) And we hadn't seen it before!

      That's awesome about Sean's brother. Those are really difficult languages.

      And glad you like the bag. Feel free to covet it from afar ;)

      Delete