Thursday, November 13, 2014

Winter's first "snow stick"



Welcome to winter! We've had a couple of flurries here and there, but today was winter's first "snow stick" :) My band rehearsal was even cancelled because of the weather. This photo is from my drive to work this morning (taken while stopped, of course!)
I only teach one class on Thursdays and today's class went well. I had three new students, which always makes me a little nervous because you never *really* know what their abilities are until they're in your classroom (regardless of what their intake test scores say).  But all three seem like really nice people :) One even came up to me after class to tell me that she thought I was a good teacher. There are so many days when I doubt myself, so that was really nice to hear. I love it when students take the time to say things like that :)

I also like it when students bring me treats! These are some Russian chocolates from one of my students. Yum! Anyway - today in class we talked some about holidays (we'll do more next week), and did some reading from one of my new favorite books: Can You Believe It? Stories and Idioms from Real Life, Book 3. This book not only has some really interesting/crazy true stories, but is great for teaching idioms. It's also nice to use in a mixed-level class, because the stories are pretty easy, but even the more advanced students learn some new expressions. Today's favorite idiom was "to sleep on it."



Also wanted to share my outfit for today. The cardigan (and pants, not pictured) are from my favorite online consignment store, Twice. The scarf I made myself from yarn I fell in love with at Michaels (when I was not there to look at yarn, but I just couldn't help it!) . It's Patons Cobbles Yarn, a superbulky (and quite soft) yarn. I only bought one skein, but it was enough for this seed stitch cowl. And it knitted up quickly on size 15 needles!

Nice and cozy for chilly winter days like today!


I also made the shirt I'm wearing today. I always get really excited when I wear clothes I've made myself and they don't spontaneously combust or otherwise fall apart :) This is the Natty Top. It's a pretty easy (and free!) pattern.  I made it this weekend from fabric left over from a skirt I did a few months ago. I altered it slightly to give it a little bit of a cowl neck and to better fit my own body (aka: a smaller size in the chest and a bigger one in the hips!) One of the things I love about sewing my own clothes is that, at least in theory, I can make them fit *me*. 

And here's a shot of the shirt without the cardigan. I'm definitely hoping to make more of these when I've got time!

That's it from me for now. Have a lovely day and stay warm :)





No comments:

Post a Comment