Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Berry Manilow Yams



A very belated happy Thanksgiving to you all!  We had a lovely, pretty low key holiday. Complete with a little bit of snow :) We spent most of the weekend relaxing, going to J's hockey tournament (his team won the whole thing!), watching football, and knitting. Well, maybe it was just me who did the knitting.  J's uncle and aunt were in from out of town and it was lovely to see them again. 






Thankful for these guys!

I love having such a cuddly dog :)

I look a little silly in this picture, but life is good! (And that's my sky scarf I'm working on in the picture..  Just one more month to go!)

One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving, after seeing family of course, is the food. So many special dishes that I eat only once or twice a year. The past two years I've celebrated with J's family, but I've brought to the Thanksgiving table one of my favorite dishes that my mom has made for a long time: Berry Mallow Yam Bake (aka Berry Manilow Yams). I'd like to share the recipe with you here!

Berry Mallow Yam Bake

Serves 6. (But easily doubled or even tripled)

Note: While the ratio of everything in the crumb mixture should remain the same, the proportions of the other ingredients can be easily adjusted to taste. (So feel free to go crazy with those marshmallows. You know you want to.)

Ingredients

Gathering the ingredients
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup old fashioned or quick oats (uncooked)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter

2 x 17 oz cans of yams or sweet potatoes (If you use fresh, cut and bake them until they're soft before putting everything together)
~2 cups fresh cranberries (I usually use a little less)
1½ cups miniature marshmallows

Ready to go in the oven
  1. Combine the first 4 dry ingredients and cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs.
  2. Toss 1 cup of crumb mixture with yams (if using canned, make sure they're well-drained) and cranberries. Place in 1½ quart casserole dish (I personally recommend a shallow dish so you can put more marshmallows on top. But that might just be me). Top with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350˚ for 35 minutes.
  3. Sprinkle casserole with 1½ cups miniature marshmallows. Broil until lightly browned. 
Feel free to snuggle (and take selfies) with your dog while the yams are baking.


Ready to eat! Enjoy!
Now that it's December, classes are winding down. This week and next I'm wrapping up our current units and doing some progress testing for my students.We've had some very interesting discussions in my level 0 class about chores. I think the most interesting part was that the only male student in my class was the only one who seems to think that men should help with chores at all! Definitely some cultural differences at work here :)


I drew a scene and my students had to ask the appropriate question (What are they doing vs. what is he/she doing?) AND say the answer :)
Today in my evening class we talked about different ways to describe people. I was pretty proud of my drawings of different hair styles ;)

I also had everyone draw a friend or family member and use the new vocabulary to describe that person. Guess who made an appearance in my drawing!

I can't believe there's only one week of classes left after this. It's been a crazy, but amazing, first semester in this new job and I'm looking forward to classes starting up again in January. (Not until the 26th! Too long of a break!)  But, before then, I'm really looking forward to a couple of potluck holiday parties in my classes. Some of my students are amazing cooks ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment